I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Finally the tree is up…

…and my new tree skirt is underneath it.  I finished this tree skirt about a week ago and had planned to put up the tree and take my pictures then, but time got away from me.  I am not quite sure where the time went this week, but I think a 4 year old with an ear infection and a middle school student with a desire to be in the school orchestra, might of had something to do with it.

016

I am really happy with how this quilted tree skirt came out.  I used a layer cake of O’ Tinsel Tree by Robert Kaufman and pieced it together using a combination of HST’s, snowballs, and squares.  The inspiration for this project came from all the tree pants I saw last year via the Happy Zombie Holiday Sew Along

020

The way these blocks came together has inspired me to rework the measurements and simplify the construction making it easier to put these blocks together. So, I have a feeling you will be seeing this quilt from me again sometime soon along with a tutorial.

024

I quilted it using some straight line quilting mitered out from the center to each of the four corners.  After I was finished quilting it I used a CD to cut the center circle and then I cut it down the center to the outer edge making it into a skirt.  I must admit it was very hard to make that first cut, but what must be down, must be done.  Once the proper cuts were made it was easy to bind this tree skirt but extra care had to be taken when binging the center circle to make sure everything lined up perfectly.

011

The details:

This tree skirt measures about 42” square with 16 blocks pieced together in a 4 by 4 layout.  For the fabrics I used O’ Tinsel Tree by Robert Kaufman, Kona white, and Kona red for the binding.  The quilting is a basic straight line mitered out from the center to each of the four corners using a white cotton tread.

Thanks for stopping by, and for all your continued support. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Have a great day!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. I really love this - such happy & bright colors and great design layout! I'm working on a tree skirt too but mine is Thimbleberries & very traditional. I like it but I wish it were more colorful like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree skirt is beautiful! I have never made one, although I have quite a few patterns to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning Ann....love how you quilted it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pattern! Great fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tree skirt! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree skirt came out great! Love the colors and quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a cool tree skirt - love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite intriguing! Who says a tree skirt has to be round? I dont like much working with curves, so I have never bothered making one, but now...just might give it a try next spring and see what I can do! I love tho, how you used the little charms to make the circle pattern...I've done that before X and O's, but yours seems different..maybe you used smaller squares. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done! My tree is so low to the ground that a skirt would be lost. But this is Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.