I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Giant Dahlia Quilt (Progress in Pictures)

This is what I have been working on for the past week or so, a Giant Dahlia Quilt.  It is one of those quilts that looks unattainable with its curved piecing and set in seams, but looks can be deceiving.

001

The process has been easier than I thought it would be.  The worst part being the templates.  Tracing and cutting out templates is not one of my favorite things to do.  

photo2

The traditional layout and fabrics shown in the book has been one of my biggest hurdles.  So, I am going with a brighter more scrappy approach in hopes of giving this quilt an updated look.

photo4

I am using this book here, circa 1984.  A couple of months ago, I picked up this book up at a quilt show, and have been itching to try it out ever since. 

photo3

Of course, it is never a good sign when you sew the first couple of pieces on backward, but I guess that is what a seam ripper is for.  Wish me luck because tomorrow I am connecting the center burst (not shown) to the arcs…

Thanks for stopping by, and for all your continued support. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Have a great day!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

13 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! And I kind of wish I could find a copy of that book . . . but it would probably just languish on my shelf for a while before I got up the nerve for those templates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! It is going to be fabulous! My favourite style is traditional made modern and you look like you've nailed it :) good luck with the connecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I love the Giant Dahlia pattern, but I'm not brave enough to try one {yet} someday, perhaps :) good luck, i can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sewing challenges and this one looks like a doozie! I love y-seams and wonder what all the fuss is about. Curves and y-seams? Bring it on! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for this pattern. Looking forward to your progress, looks awesome so far. !xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made several Giant Dahlia quilts. I felt intimidated the first time; after about 20 of them....you can do it in your sleep. It was the most popular quilt for my customers a few years back!! I love the pattern and the finished quilt; but I got tired of making it after awhile...lol Can't wait to see your finish....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've inspired me to maybe try this, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the seamripper is my friend too;)What a beautiful piece of work you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! You are doing a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it so much better than the one on the book. It is going to make one beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go girl! I love your modern version of it but it does look like alot of hard work with those templates- you did well to persevere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yours looks gorgeous. You've totally inspired me. I googled giant dahlia, your post came up, I went on etsy and ordered the book, and started following you. Please keep us updated with your progress. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.