I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Madrona Road Challenge Quilt

It’s finished!  Just in the nick of time, too.  Today is our Tampa Modern Quilt Guild meeting and even though I won’t be able to attend I am still able to submit my quilt via some pictures.  I know it will not be the same as being there in person, but some things can’t be helped.   

009

This was part of the Winter 2012 Fabric Challenge using Madrona Road by Violet Craft for Michael Miller, for the Modern Quilt Guild.  Even though the national challenge is over, our local chapter is having it’s own challenge.  The guidelines were simple, by adding only a solid fabric (or additional Madrona Road prints) to the bundle we received at out January guild meeting, we could make anything with a quilted element to it.

003

I went with the traditional bow tie block with a set in center square and up-dated it by piecing the blocks without the obvious bow tie and then sashed the blocks in a 4 by 5 layout.  I had planned on buying the additional fabrics in this line to make a bigger quilt, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to use just what I was given, making it more of a challenge for me.

013

For the quilting, I went with my favorite way to go, straight line quilting.  I echoed the center set in square giving it some visual interest. 

014

The details:

This quilt measures about 30” by 40” with 20 blocks pieced together in a 4 by 5 layout. I used this tutorial for the blocks. For the fabrics I used Madrona Road by Violet Craft for Michael Miller and Kona Snow for the solid background fabric.  For the binding I also used Kona Snow. The quilting is a basic straight line echoing the center set in square, using an off white cotton tread.

Thanks for stopping by, and for all your continued support. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Have a great day!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

7 comments:

  1. Oh what a great way to quilt. Have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colors! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything!!! great fabric, your design is brilliant and perfect quilting! I aspire to make quilts like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the best I've seen. I wasn't a huge fan of this colorway, but yours feels light and sunny. LOVE that echo quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the way you quilted this one. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your take on the block design and the shape of the quilting is ideal - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! I have a stack of Madrona Road and no clear idea what I want to do with it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.