I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

More Patchwork Pillows

I have been really into making pillows lately.  I love the idea of have a variety of them around the house.  You know, a few for the kids to toss around and a few that are a little nicer that, dare I say, don’t get used.  I hate that it makes me sound like my mother, but with 3 kids blowing through this house like a hurricane everyday it is nice to have something pretty to look at that doesn’t end up on the floor.

018

I also feel like I don’t have enough quilted things around the house representing my work.  Quilting is such a big part of my life I thought it would be nice to have a few conversation starters laying about to share with friends or family. 

006

The first one here I pieced with the leftover scraps form another quilt I am working on for a Moda Bake Shop project, using a jelly roll of Good Fortune by Kate Spain and a Moda white jelly roll.  I had a small pile of scraps left over and I couldn’t bear to just toss them out with the trash.  Then I added a decorative stitch to the straight line quilting for some added visual effect. 

iPhone 270

For the second one I pieced together 1 1/2” strips of coral and white and cut them on the 45 degree line, then pieced the panels together creating a herringbone or zig-zag pattern.  I then used the same decorative stitch for the quilting.  The fabric is Clementine by Michael Miller from his Cotton Couture Solids line, which I am totally crushing on right now. 

023

Currently, I am working on a pillow using a Noteworthy charm pack and I not quite sure how I want to do the back.  I am not trilled with how these zipper closures came out, so any suggestions?   Or do you know of a great pillow tutorial I can use to learn something new?

Have a great day!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. They look great. It's funny how we forget sometimes to make stuff for our own home! I am deliberately making an effort to make stuff for home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. I also totally know you what mean wanting to make more things for my own home. You would not know that quilting/sewing is such a big part of my life from looking at home. I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillows are great! Kate Spain fabric is so pretty, isn't it. I thought you had used chevron fabric when I saw the picture. So clever to piece it like that. When I do a zipper closure like that, I place it at he bottom of the pillow, about an inch from the edge. Then if it isn't perfect, you don't really notice it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pillows are adorable! I cannot believe I never though to add a decorative stitch to my small project quilting-- so cute! If you find the great pillow tutorial, please share it. You've inspired me but I have no pattern to use right now.

    Also crushing on cotton couture.... How soft and awesome is that stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.