I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Confetti Scrap Quilt

Yesterday I finally finished my Confetti Scrap Quilt and I am pleased at the results. Weeks ago when I started this quilt my main goal was just to use up the mountain of scraps that I had accumulated over the years. So, I got out my rotary cutter and started cutting, did a little quilt math, and when I was done I was left with a pile of five hundred 5” squares.

014
As I started piecing the hour glass blocks I wasn’t sure how this quilt was going to play out.  Honestly, I really thought it was going to be the ugliest quilt ever, but since it was headed to the family room, and the was going to be at the mercy of the kids, I didn’t really care how it turned out.  I just needed a quilt that could be abused and loved.  Also, I took the opportunity to practice some precision piecing, taking the time to press and trim, and really concentrating on lining up all my seams.

010
This was also the first time I used Aurifil thread to piece and to machine quilt.  I hate to admit it but I am hooked.  I was surprised to see that there is really a difference compared to regular cotton thread.  Now we will see how it stands the test of time… and the kids.  Like I said before this quilt is headed for the family room and all the punishment the kids can dish out. 

PicMonkey Collage
Also, I am finding Instagram invaluable when it comes to the work in process.  I love the immediate help and encouragement I can get along the way.  Above are some of the pictures I took.  If you are on Instagram and want to follow along you can find me at @agirlinparadise. 

016
The details: This quilt measures about 65” by 82” with 500 blocks pieced together in a 20 by 25 layout. I used this tutorial for the blocks. For the fabrics I used variety of scraps. For the backing and the binding I used a moss green dot. The quilting is a basic straight line on the diagonal that follows the quilt block, using white Aurifil tread.

Thanks for stopping by, and for all your continued support. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Have a great day!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter




19 comments:

  1. I love it! It's amazing how once a scrappy quilt comes all the way together, it just always works. Love your backing/binding choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so gorgeous! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning and amazingly accurate. I would love to be able to piece that accurately. I have a lot to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love you're quilt. This is a fabulous quilt to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look out scraps, here I come. I love it and will start cutting out a bunch of squares soon. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. I love how bold the red pieces look with the other colours, it really pulls everything together in my eyes. I can't believe how accurate your seams are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I'm staying away from HSTs for a while... not a big fan of all the trimming. But your quilt might just inspire me to get back in the HST game!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt - scrappy quilts are such fun to make.
    Check out my string quilt wjich is expected to have a hard life too:

    http://justjulielou.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/string-fling-finished.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!!! I think it is just beautiful. I am going to find you on instagram to follow future projects!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous quilt, I have lots of old fabric that should be used up, just need to cut it up and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful quilt. I love the whole thing. I will have to start saving 5 inch squares I guess. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! So colorful. I really like the intrigue of scrap quilts. I could examine the different fabrics, and how they play with each other all day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like this quilt a lot! The more scraps, the better. It's perfect for your kids to knock around with. As for Aurifil thread, you've found the dream thread, I think! I've been using it for about eight years (I bought it when it was only $5.25 a spool!). The 50-weight is my favorite for piecing, hand and machine appliqué and quilting. I've found a discount site for buying the jumbo 16,400-yard cone, and I have it in white, beige and gray. In all that time, doing LOTS of sewing and quilting, I've used up only two cones. It's a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, i love all types of scrappy quilts! I am starting collecting scraps :)
    Your result is amazing, is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hallo, I´m from Germany. What a wonderful quilt you have made. And ONLY with hourglass-blocks!!! A great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...This is what i have been looking for and you have done a great job. Beautiful cards.
    scrapbooking stores

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.