I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Negative Space Challenge Quilt - (Progress in Pictures)

Sometimes a quilt just evolves and you end up in a completely direction than you originally though you wanted.  I am currently working on a quilt for the negative space challenge we are having as part of the Tampa Modern Quilt Guild and I am becoming a big fan of my design wall.  They really were not that common when I started quilting oh so many years ago.  As was evident in some of my earlier blog posts.  I use to lay out my blocks on the living room floor and look at it for a few day, move some things around, and then when I was happy with the layout, I would start sewing things together.  Now, it is all about my design wall.  It is nothing fancy just a 4' by 6' piece of foam board covered in batting and stuck to the wall using some command Velcro strips, but I love it.  Especially now that I am old and don't want to crawling around on the floor anymore. 
   
The other benefit to a design wall is when I am having trouble deciding on the direction I want to go in, I can arrange my blocks, take a picture, and then try another option.  Of course, that always leads to some more obsessing, but it does make it much easier to make a decision when you are just scrolling through pictures. 
 
My original thought for this quilt was a horizontal chevron panel with a lot of white space for quilting, but the more I looked at it the more I thought, it looks so predictable.  So, I put some space between the rows, but still I wasn't feeling it.  Then I thought how about a vertical panel?  But still I wasn't feeling it. 

 
 
Finally, this arrangement has formed and I think I might go with it.  What do you think?
 

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. I sure like your chevron concept! It has so many possibilities. You know, one of the characteristics of modern quilting is asymmetrical design. Maybe you could have one larger gap of vertical negative space that off-sets your chevrons. It would add more interest to your design, I think.

    I have had a design wall for years - it's such a huge aid to visually getting a quilt "right" - and since moving here, have a "double-wide." It's TWO four-foot by six-foot sheets together. It almost fills a whole wall in my sewing room, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling the last one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I really like the last one. It will be a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.