I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Solid as a Block Quilt


Have you ever made a quilt just so you could try new things?  A couple of months ago I pulled out this old unfinished project.  Something I just wasn't feeling it at the time so I packed it up and put it away.  Fast forward a year, a fresh pair of eyes, and you have a finished quilt.  It is completely different than my original vision but sometimes it is fun to see how a project can evolve.  


I struggle a bit with how I wanted to quilt this.  I wanted to experiment with a few FMQ designs but ultimately ripped them out for my tried and true straight lines.  I don't know what to say I love my straight line quilting and I think it goes perfectly with bold, bright look of this quilt.

Here are some of the work in progress pictures I posted along the way on Instagram. 
 
I jumped out of my comfort zone for a second time with this quilt and tried spray basting.  I know some of you may be shocked that I haven't tried this before, but I am resistant to change.  I liked my blue painters tape and safety pins, but I am getting old and my tile floors are killing my knees, so I gave it a try.  I wasn't sure the added cost was going to be worth it, but is was, my knees and my back were thanking me over and over again. 
 
 
Here is how the back turned out.   I think stepping outside my comfort zone with some improv piecing definitely paid off.  I like the use of scraps on the back and because of all the piecing I was careful to line up the front with the back when I sandwiched this quilt.  With all these straight lines it would be very easy to see if the back was crooked.  For the binding I used the left over large scale print.  I really dig how it looks pieced but is not.   


The details:
This quilt measures about 40” by 55”  with 48 blocks pieced together in a 6 by 8 layout.  The blocks were strip pieced with a black solid then cut into squares.For the fabrics I used a large scale print Two Young Street, made by Prints Charming and matching Kona solids.  For the binding I also used the large scale print Two Young Street, made by Prints Charming.  The quilting is a basic straight line that follows the quilt block, using a black cotton tread.

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter
 

7 comments:

  1. Love it! That back is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, front and back. The quilting is perfect for the quilt.
    How did you line up the back with the front? I am either off a bit or have tucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of straight line quilting and I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful! I love that the back is as terrific as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love what you have decided to do to this quilt. It is bright and cheerful and would work great for a boy or a girl. Congrats on getting the project done!


    Please visit My Website: Split-Site PhD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a secret. I have free motion quilting. Not the beautiful stuff that you can achieve with long arms, but the stippling that seems to be in every quilt nowadays. I love straight line quilting, and I often spend more time thinking about how to quilt a quilt than anything else.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.