I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Reveiw - Grab-A-Roo's Machine Quilting Gloves

Last week I shared with you that I was trying some new threads and a pair of Grab-A-Roo's gloves for machine quilting.  I had a chance to try them and was pleasantly surprised.  I also finished my negative space quilt that I am very excited about.  I wish I could share the finished quilt with you today, but I think I will wait till after the big revel at our next guild meeting.  Thanks to all of you who commented and shared your suggestions.  You played a big part in how this quilt evolved.

First up are the Grab-A-Roo's gloves.  They are made for machine quilting, sewing, scrapbooking, and general crafting.  They claim to keep hands cool and comfortable with a unique snug fit.  Which is the exact reason I bought them.  I have tried quilting gloves in the past, but have never been happy with them for one reason or another.  Grab-A-Roo's come in several sizes, are seamless, and have grips on the tips of every finger. 
Ok, so the first thing I did was quilt a couple of lines with bare hands as I usually do to get a feel for the quilt, and the machine.  As you can see, in the picture above, starting and stopping with bare hands without a good grip of the fabric, sometimes creates these skips.  Not cool, and why I need a good pair of gloves. 
 
Then, I put on the gloves to quilt the remainder of the quilt.  First, the fit is amazing, a unique snug fit is a good way to describe how they feel.  They are made out of nylon and spandex so your hands are able to breath.  I don't know if I would say my hands stayed cool, but they definitely were not sweaty or clammy when I was done. 
 
The gloves only have grips on the finger tips not the entire hand.  I wasn't sure if that was going to be enough grip but it was, giving me more control to move my hands around without sticking to the fabric. 
 
I am glad I tried them and think they will help with my machine quilting, and I would recommend these to others.  I bought mine at my local quilt shop but here is the link for Grab-A-Roo's if you are interested in trying them out for yourself.  
Next up is the variegated thread.  I used Superior Thread's Rainbows color #837 called Spring Fling.  It is a 40wt. high sheen trilobal polyester thread with one inch color change.  I also used a #90/14 topstitch needle in my machine. 
 
I liked it a lot.  I didn't have any trouble with breakage and because of the high sheen if glided through my machine effortlessly.  As a rule, I almost always use cotton threads when it comes to quilting, but I think that is another antiquated rule that needs to be broken.  Today, we are lucky enough to have so many options and I look forward to trying more threads and learning how to use them efficiently. 
 
This has been another topic that I have received a lot of reader response.  Thank you for sharing what threads you use and why.  I am excited to try some of them out. 


*all opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review in any way. 
 

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter


 

2 comments:

  1. Good information. I'm always up for hearing about others' opinions. I've avoided polyester (and rayon) threads for their slipperiness. How did you start and end your tails so they didn't unravel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Grabaroos, too! I'm very much a beginner with FMQ, but these made a huge difference the first time I used them! I should probably try them for straight lines, too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.