I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Good Fortune Quilt

Originally I designed this quilt as a Moda Bake Shop tutorial but because of poor communications on both sides that never came to be.  I am not terribly upset by this, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, this quilt was just not meant to be a Moda Bake Shop quilt.  It now can be whatever I want it to be, I am just not sure what that is right now.  Instead I am just enjoying the moment of a job well done.  I am very proud of this quilt for many reasons, the main one being the design. 
I designed this quilt to efficiently use 2 jelly rolls with very little waste.  It is a modified Bright Hope quilt block that uses the traditional robbing Peter to pay Paul setting, meaning that both blocks are the same but they are pieced together using opposite color values, which gives the quilt it's positive and negative appearance. 
 
I am also very proud of this quilt because when I use pre-cuts I look at it as a personal challenge to use as much of the pre-cut fabric as possible.  The biggest challenged I  faced in the design of this quilt was that I didn't want it to look like a string quilt.  How do you do that if all you have is strips?  In the end it required a lot of quilt math but I figured it out and I love the results.
For the backing I used a single print that was pieced together. Usually I like to incorporate my scraps into the back but because there was very little left over in the way of scraps, so I made this pillow instead. 
Here are some of the pictures that I posted along the way. I find the process just as important as the finished quilt.  If you are on Instagram or Twitter and want to follow along you can find me at @agirlinparadise. 
The details: This quilt measures about 64" by 82" with 154 bright hope blocks pieced together in a 11 by 14 layout. For the fabrics I used a jelly roll of Good Fortune by Kate Spain for Moda and a Bella Solids white jelly roll also by Moda. For the backing and the binding I used coordinating prints, that were also part of the Good Fortune line by Kate Spain. The quilting is a basic straight line that follows the quilt block, using white Aurifil tread.

Thanks for stopping by, and for all your continued support. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Have a great day!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter
 


 

9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt! I love that fabric line and your quilt really shows it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great design! I love the overall simplicity of it, but the more complicated look of each block. You've done a marvelous job, especially using the "frugal factor." You're a quilter after my own heart! You can be proud of what you've accomplished, in spite of the mix-up with Moda Bake Shop. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using pre-cuts, generating little waste, and ending up with a quilt that does not look like a string quilt? I say, mission accomplished! Plus, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what went "wrong" with this quilt but I think it is beautiful. I love the colors, the use of dark and white squares. I've never quilted a blanket but it seems like a lot of work. That is worth it when the results are like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! So pretty, what a creative project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just gorgeous! I love the Good Fortune with the bright white! Such a beautiful quilt....

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. your quilt is beautiful!! the colors are so well-balanced in the way you distributed them....makes the quilt sparkle! i love it! thank you for sharing your creativity. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. a like this blog nice article, thanks you visit me Obat Vimax

    ReplyDelete