Sunday, July 14, 2013

Negative Space Challenge Quilt

The Tampa chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild had a negative space challenge and yesterday was the big reveal.  I entered this quilt as part of that challenge.  The rules were simple,  make a quilt top using negative space.  This quilt went through many changes through the design process but in the end I am very happy with the results.  I definitely had to step outside my comfort zone for this one, but isn't that the best thing about a challenge, pushing yourself to try new things.  
Here are some of the other quilts that were part of the challenge.  Truly, I am inspired by them all. 
 
Georgia chopped up a quilt she wasn't happy with to create her entry.   
 
Katie's quilt was inspired by a Corgi legend and she was the winner of our little challenge.  You can read more about her quilt here
 
Ellen's quilt was inspired by lanterns from the movie Tangled.  I can't wait to see what she does with the quilting. 
 
In the mist of packing for a move Elizabeth managed to put together this quilt.  Don't you just love the pixilated aqua background?  You can read more about her quilt here.
 
Before this design even took shape I knew I wanted to use this line of ombré solids by V and Company.  I liked the idea of having many shades within the same color palettes. 
Again, here are some pictures documenting the process.  This quilt also contained a few firsts for me... strip piecing on the 45, which I have done before, but not using this technique.  Also, I tried out a new type of thread and a new pair of quilting gloves.  You can read more about what I thought about them here.
 
The details:
This quilt measures about 36” by 58” pieced together in chevron strips.  For the fabric I used the Simply Color collection by V and Co for Moda and kona white.  The was binding was pieced using the remaining fabric and the back was a single piece of kona white.  The quilting is a straight line that follows the flow of the quilt, using Superior Thread's Rainbows color #837 called Spring Fling.
 

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter
 



 

10 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I think the binding might be my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It turned out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost my sewing mojo for months now, this quilt is inspiring, I love it! It may just be the thing that brings me back from the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your entry quilt is great! I love how some of the diamonds show significant change in color while others don't. Thanks for sharing the other quilts as well, it is fun to see how different people interpret the same theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to see your quilt with some of your friends'. I like the binding which looks like it came from the chevrons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is just gorgeous! Do you have a place in mind to hang it? That Negative Space Challenge is such a clever idea for a challenge. Was it a competition in any way? Where winners or viewer's choice winners were selected? Thanks for sharing pictures of everyones' projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is lovely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete